What is G3's Home Phone?
G3's home phone is a service that uses your high speed internet connection as a phone line. It works similar to your local phone service but is not restricted by physical locations or geographical boundaries. Your home phone line is fully featured with caller id number, call waiting, call forward, speed dialing and more. See list of features.
- All of our home plans come fully-featured with voicemail, caller ID, call waiting, call forward, automatic call back, and many more.
- No contracts.
- One Month Free Trial.
- Cell Extension - Extend or share unlimited long distance calling with your mobile phone.
How does G3's Home Phone work?
We will provide you with a telephone adapter that will convert your high speed internet signal to voice. We have two types of adapters, depending on how you plan on using the service. Simply connect a standard phone to our telephone adapter to start using our home phone service.
- You can keep your existing number (we will port your number for free), or
- You can choose a number or area code in any North American city (Canada and USA) that is within our service area, even if you don't live there.
What are the different Home Phone plans?
G3 offers three home phone plans that are designed to help you talk and save at the same time:
- Fully-Featured Plan - $9.95 per month (for 3 mos.) / $14.95 per month (after 3 mos.)
- North America Plan - $14.95 per month (first 3 mos.) / $19.95 per month (after 3 mos.)
Unlimited calling to North America (Canada and the USA) 24/7.
- World Plan - $19.95 per month (first 3 mos.) / $29.95 per month (after 3 mos.)
Unlimited calling to India, North America (Canada and the USA) and over 40 countries 24/7.
What North American cities do you provide local phone numbers for?
G3's home phone service is available across Canada and selected areas of the United States.
The advantage of G3's home phone is your phone line can travel with you. You can connect it to a high speed Internet connection anywhere in the world. Please note if you are traveling to countries with 220V power - you will need an adapter to plug your unit in. Depending on what telephone adapter you have, you may have to re-configure your telephone adapter to the local ISP. Please note that when you travel, it is possible that 911 will not work.
What calling features are included with the G3 Home Phone service?
G3's Home Phone comes standard with the following features:
- Caller ID Number
- Call Waiting
- Call Return
- Call Forward
- Speed Dialing
- Automatic Call Back
- and many more!
Click here to see all included Home Phone calling features.
Who is G3's Home Phone ideal for?
This service can be used by residential customers for:
- Cost-effective phone line.
- People who have family in other parts of Canada or the world.
- Our G3 adapter will work anywhere in the world.
- The adapter can be shipped to family around the world, who are able to make telephone calls within the local calling area of the telephone number provided.
- People looking to reduce or eliminate their long distance charges.
- Eliminate long distance charges by choosing a local number from any North American city.
- By having a local telephone number, family will be able to call you without incurring long distance calls. G3 can provide local telephone numbers across Canada and the United States.
- Unbeatable unlimited long distance plans to Canada, USA, and over 40 countries around the world.
- You can travel with, or send your G3 adapter abroad, as it will work anywhere in the world.
- People who travel.
- If you travel, you can take your adapter with you and make calls just like you would from home.
- If you have a business, G3 also has many plans to meet the needs of a business of any size.
Is unlimited local calling included?
Yes, local calls are unlimited but long distance calls will get applicable G3 long distance charges, unless your plan includes long distance, then the rules of your plan would apply.
G3's Home Phone uses the North American standard set by the traditional telephone companies to determine the local calling area. Calls that are local with the local telephone company will be local on our home phone service.
How is the quality of the phone service?
G3's Home Phone sound quality is similar or indistinguishable from your traditional phone service. There are a few factors that may affect the quality of VoIP calls such as the quality of the hardware you are using (i.e. adapter), local network traffic, or your ISP quality (e.g. network speeds and congestion). If all of these are working effectively, then your VoIP experience will be excellent.
How is G3's Home Phone different from my regular landline phone service?
G3's Home Phone works virtually the same way as your local phone service with your local telephone company. G3's Home Phone has a wide selection of features; it can be used with a standard phone handset, and is much less expensive than your current telephone company.
There are important differences between G3's Home Phone and your regular landline phone service:
- 911 Service - Basic 911 service is offered to G3's Home Phone customers however there are differences compared to 911 service from your local phone company.
Differences in 911 service:
- G3's Home Phone offers a form of 911 service that is similar to traditional 911 service but has some important differences and limitations when compared with enhanced 911 service (E911) available in most locations in conjunction with traditional telephone service.
- With both traditional 911 and E911 service, your call is sent directly to the nearest emergency response center. However, with E911 service your call back number and address are visible to the emergency response center call-taker. With G3's Home Phone 911 service, your call is sent to a national emergency call center. The call center operator will confirm your location information and then transfer your 911 call to the emergency response center nearest your location. You should be prepared to confirm your address and call-back number with the operator. Do not hang up unless told directly to do so and if disconnected, you should dial 9-1-1 again.
- It is your (the customer's) responsibility to ensure we have your correct municipal address. If you move or change your municipal address, they need to update your address by logging into your account on our website www.g3telecom.com or by calling our customer service.
- Collect Call:
- You will not be able to receive collect calls on your G3 home phone line.
- You can make collect calls on your G3's Home Phone line. However, these services are offered by a third party provider that is solely responsible for charges and disputes.
- Directory Assistance:
- Directory assistance is available for number in the United States and Canada.
- Directory assistance is reached by dialing either "411" or "1 + (Area Code) + 555 1212" from your G3's Home Phone line.
- Service Outage - G3's Home Phone customers can have service outages due to problems with their Internet Service Provider (ISP's), Power failure in their area, Suspension of Account due to billing and payment issues, and intermittent network failure. If there is a service outage, such outage will affect all services including 911 service.
Is G3 Home Phone a suitable replacement for my local Home Phone provider?
G3 home phone service can handle the same functionality as a traditional home phone service. It has more than 20 features and at a much lower cost. Plus it has additional features which might not be available on traditional home phone services.
Will the service work during a power outage?
No, but if you buy a small uninterruptible power supply (UPS), also known as a continuous power supply (CPS) it will continue to work. G3's service also provides many ways for you to arrange to have calls forwarded to another phone number or mobile number automatically in the event of a power outage.
Can I use this service if I travel or move?
If You Move
If you move, you may keep your service and your phone number, or we can provide you with another local number. You just need to have a High Speed Internet connection at your new location. Please ensure that you notify G3 customer service of your new address.
When You Travel
In most of the cases you service will work when you travel domestically or abroad. Please note that some countries block VoIP traffic and your service will not be able to work in those locations. To use G3's Home Phone when you travel, all you need to do is plug your adapter into a High Speed Internet connection at your new location - and you are ready to go. All your calls will be treated the same way as if made using G3's Home Phone at your home. For example, if you travel from Toronto to Montreal or Hong Kong, you can take your service with you, plug into High Speed internet there, and make calls as if you were still in Toronto (i.e. people could still reach you at your 416 number or you can call their 416 number and neither party would be charged long distance).
Can I use my fax with G3's Home Phone?
G3 does not guarantee the reliability of faxes with the home phone service. There are many factors that determine the ability to send and receive faxes on the service, including destination and quality of your internet connection. Faxes are delivered on a "best effort" basis.
My alarm system that is connected to the phone lines. Can I use it with your service?
There are various alarm systems that are available to customers. A home security system over VOIP phone may work. We recommend contacting your alarm company to check, if their system supports a Voip phone system.
Is the service compatible with the phone intercom system in an apartment/condo?
If the building intercom system will dial a phone number it will work, but if the system is wired to the building it may or may not work, please consult Building Super or Property Manager.
What is dry loop?
If your phone service and DSL internet service are by one of the main phone companies or any of their Resellers, most likely your DSL line transmits both phone and internet signal. In this case if you decide to move your phone number to G3 Telecom, you phone line and DSL internet service will be disconnected at the same time.
What dry loop does is ensure that your DSL internet service remains active with your existing provider, while allowing you to switch to a different provider for your home phone service.. To set this up you will need to contact your existing provider to convert your DSL internet line into a Dry Loop DSL line. Please note that your provider may charge a fee to get this setup. Once this is completed we can then go ahead and request for your phone number to be transferred over to us.
Telephone Service Provides:
- Bell - Ontario and Quebec
- Telus - BC and Alberta
- Sasktel - Saskachewan
- MTS Allstream - Manitoba
- Bell Alliant - NL and NS
How long does it take to transfer to your service?
The process will take about 7 to 8 business days from when you apply for G3 Home Phone Service. Once the transfer is complete, your old phone number will begin to ring on the telephone you've connected to your G3 Home Phone Adapter.
Can I have more than one phone line?
Yes, you may get up to two phone lines or phone numbers per G3 adapter.
Can I use G3's Home Phone for my business?
G3 offers a suite of business phone services that are able to meet the needs of a business of any size. Click here to learn more.
When will my service start?
Once you have installed your G3's Home Phone, you can start using the service immediately.
When will I receive my G3 adapter?
Your adapter will arrive within 10 days after you subscribe for G3's Home Phone.
There is a $15 shipping and handling fee when you order your G3 adapter.
We only ship on Wednesday and Friday. If you are in Quebec or Ontario, you may get it the next business day (otherwise normal shipping takes five business days). Adapters shipped on a Friday will arrive to you on Monday.
How do I make a call?
With G3's Home Phone, you can make your phone calls in the same way you would with the local telephone company.
To call locally:
Dial Area Code + Phone Number
To call Canada, USA and the Caribbean:
Dial 1 + Area Code + Phone Number
To call other countries:
Dial 011 + Country Code + Area Code + Phone Number
How do I use the 911 service?
9-1-1 service is available to G3's Home Phone subscribers.
Simply dial 911 and will be transferred to an operator. However, there are differences in the 911 service provided through our Home Phone service and your local phone company. G3's Home Phone Basic 911 service is only available in the local exchange that you have prescribed for or your municipal address (if different). Should you move your home phone service outside of your municipal address, 911 service will not operate properly or may not be able to help you. 911 service is only provided in Canada and the United States.
911 Service Limitations:
- There are limitations to 911 with your G3's Home Phone service compared to regular Telephone Service. Please read the Terms and Conditions, log on to our website www.g3telecom.com, or call our customer service.
- By using G3's Home Phone service, you acknowledge the Terms and Conditions of service and these limitations.
- It is your responsibility to ensure we have your correct municipal address. If you move or change your municipal address, please update your address by logging into your account on our website www.g3telecom.com or by calling our customer service.
How do I make a long distance call?
There are no PINs or access codes to dial. You can make long distance calls in the same way as you would from a regular phone.
Can I make a collect call?
Yes, you can make a collect or billed to third party call. Billing for this service is handled by a third party that has full responsibility for the rates and customer service issues.
Can I receive a collect call?
No, you are not able to receive a collect call with our service.
Can I dial directory assistance?
Yes, you can reach directory assistance by dialing 411 or 1 (area code) 555 1212. We charge a rate of $1.50 per call.
Do I need to turn my computer on to use my G3's Home Phone?
No, you do not need your computer to be turned on to use G3's Home Phone service.
Can I use my computer and internet, and talk on my phone at the same time?
G3's Home Phone is VERY EASY TO INSTALL. Even if you don't know a lot about computers, you will just need to use the same phone handset you would normally use with your local telephone company. We provide an easy step by step manual for the setup.
- You DO NOT NEED A COMPUTER to use G3's Home Phone. You do need to have High-speed internet account. (DSL or Cable). We ship you an adapter that you plug your phones into. If you have a computer, you may plug the Ethernet connection into one of the open ports on the G3 adapter.
- If you have a computer, it DOES NOT NEED TO BE ON to use G3's Home Phone.
- You can use your computer and Home Phone AT THE SAME TIME.
- You can surf the Internet and use G3's Home Phone AT THE SAME TIME.
Do I need to buy a power converter if I'm shipping the G3 adapter overseas?
If you are shipping to a different country, there is no need to buy a separate converter as your G3 adapter comes with its own universal power. We, however, strongly suggest using a power surge protector if you plan to use it outside of North America.
There will be no refund or replacements for ATAs damaged by power surges.
Can I keep my existing number?
Absolutely. If you want to port your existing number, call us to verify as we may be able to port numbers in your specific area at no cost.
Can I choose a different area code from where I currently reside in?
As a G3 Home Phone customer, you are not limited to the local area code of the place you live any more. You can select any other area code in North America that is within our home phone service area.
When you order Home Phone, you will choose which area you would like to get a telephone number, within G3's service area. Your new telephone number will be included in the welcome package that will be included in the shipment of your adapter.
How soon can you transfer my number to G3?
It takes 7-10 business days to transfer your original number to G3's Home Phone (called porting). It is very important that you do not cancel your current phone service until the porting is completed or you may lose your phone number.
What do I need to start using G3's Home Phone?
G3 will provide you with all the required equipment (i.e. adapter) to get you connected. You just need a high speed Internet connection (Cable or DSL with at least 256kbps Bandwidth in each direction), a billing, shipping address and service address, and a standard touchtone phone.
What kind of internet connection do I need for G3's Home Phone?
G3's Home Phone will only work with high speed internet connections, including DSL, DSL lite, and cable modem. Our home phone service will not work with dial up internet connections.
You may surf the internet and use G3's Home Phone both at the same time.
High Speed Internet
G3's Home Phone can work with virtually any always-on High Speed Internet service: DSL, DSL Lite or Cable modem. As well, our home phone service may work with wireless ISPs. Most common wireless and wire line ISPs include Bell Sympatico, Rogers Cable, Shaw Cable, Telus, and Videotron.
G3's Home Phone is available for Lite users, however due to Lite's limited Bandwidth and have higher chances of voice quality problems.
G3's Home Phone is build specifically for always-on High Speed Internet connection and cannot be used with any type of the dial-up Internet service.
Minimum Speed Requirement
We recommended at least 256 Kbps: e.g. lite DSL and lite cable service.
G3's Home Phone may work on wireless Internet services, however the quality can not be guaranteed.
Home Alarm System
You could use it with your home alarm system, but we don't recommend it. Additionally, a number of alarm companies will refuse to allow you to use your alarm with a VoIP solution. If you would like to use G3's Home Phone, check with your alarm company if they have a cellular option.
Do I need to buy or rent an adapter?
We will provide you with a telephone adapter at no cost to you for the duration of your service. You will need to return the adapter if you cancel your home phone service, or a $60 charge will apply.
Note: Alternatively, you may also use your own telephone adapter but technical support might be limited as we only support LinkSys.
How do I log into my account?
- Go to www.g3telecom.com.
- Click on Residential.
- Click the Home Phone Tab and click on My Home Phone Manager.
- Login using your telephone number and Voicemail PIN.
Note: If the Voicemail PIN has not been changed, the default PIN is 1111. If you haven't done so, please change your PIN for security purposes.
How do I reset my password?
Please contact Tech Support if you have forgotten your password or got locked out.
How do I change my Voicemail PIN?
- Log in to My Home Phone Manager using your current PIN.
- Click on Settings.
- Under Security Tab enter the new password in the Password and Confirm Password fields and click Change Password.
Note: The voicemail PIN is the same as your Home Phone Manager password.
How do I listen to my Voicemail?
- Log in to My Home Phone Manager using your current PIN.
- All messages will appear on the main dashboard.
- Click the play button.
Note: A computer or laptop with a speaker is required to listen to messages.
How do I adjust the number of rings before it goes to my Voicemail?
- Log in to My Home Phone Manager using your current PIN.
- Click on Settings.
- Under Preferences Tab, look for Voicemail Preferences.
- Change the number of seconds before incoming calls are forwarded to voicemail in the number of seconds' field.
Note: 6 seconds is equivalent to one ring.
How do I set up the Voicemail to Email Function?
- Log in to My Home Phone Manager.
- Select Settings then Messaging.
- Check Auto Forward all voicemail as emails.
- Enter the email address and select if you need to leave a copy to your inbox.
How do I setup Call Forward?
- Log in to My Home Phone Manager.
- Select Call Manager then Forwarding.
Unconditional forwarding select:
- Immediately: check box, enter phone number and click apply.
Busy or No Answer select:
- Busy or No Answer: check box if this is applied to both services.
- Check Forward calls if you do not answer, enter phone number enter the number of seconds before forwarding (1 ring = 6 seconds) and click apply.
If box is unchecked:
- Select which service by checking the box, enter the phone number and click apply.
How do I setup SimRing?
This feature lets you ring additional phone numbers (apart from your Home Phone) all at the same time.
- Log in to the My Home Phone Manager.
- You have two options: (A) On the Dashboard click on SimRing, or (B) On the Call Manager Tab click on SimRing tab.
- Add destination number in Destination field.
- Enter phone number you want to forward calls to.
- Click Apply.